“Screen printing trial”

After some experimenting (read about it here) and further development of my idea I decided to screen print my final pieces. Since I already had an idea of what I wanted in my mind, it was now time to start experimenting with the different techniques and processes.

I’ve spent a day preparing the image and the screen only to find out that what I wanted is not being accomplished. The print was too transparent, and the colour got absorbed by the black in the background. Apparently it was due to the heat (the ink was drying too fast), and the lack of opacity in water-based inks. As my time was running out at this point and I couldn’t go though the whole process all over again, I opted for a different (and hopefully quicker!) technique.

Image prepared to be exposed.
Image prepared to be exposed.
About to print.
About to print the first trial copy.
All ready and registered.
The “real thing”, all ready and registered.
The trials plus the actual poster, not what I wanted...
The trials plus the actual poster, not what I wanted…
Way too light. Also, the black part of the bollard absorbed the blue colour.
Way too light. Also, the black part of the bollard absorbed the blue colour.

P1010007

However, I did thoroughly enjoy the screen printing process, and even though it didn’t work out for me this time, I will return over the summer to do more of it.

 

Advertisements

2 thoughts on ““Screen printing trial”

  1. Pingback: “More experimentation for the bollard project”

  2. Pingback: “At last—the final bollard outcomes!”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s