During my letterpress session I’ve decided to mirror the cafe’s name vertically, and tried a number of prints in different colours. Later on, I’ve cleaned it all up in Photoshop, and for the purpose of a stronger impact and simplicity I’ve stuck to the colour black.
This is the development of the logo:
While looking at the logo I realized that the idea of using the inside shapes of the letters is really interesting, and I started experimenting with it.
Firstly, I’ve tried to work out the geometrics.
I’ve cut out the shapes, and soon realized that I will only use the shapes from letter ‘A’, as the letter ‘M’ wasn’t quite as suitable. Once I had the right shapes, I experimented with the clean digital patterns/colours.
However, as soon as I saw the logo and the new pattern next to each other, I knew that together they don’t look right. I went back to the beginning and re-extracted the shapes, but this time I left them more ‘rough around the edges’—literally. I also used masks and added the texture of a letterpress. At first from the original letters, but eventually I used a larger letterpress texture, which looked more realistic.
Eventually I developed the final pattern.
Also, importantly, I realized that the focusing on the inside of the letters also matches the concept of the cafe—’inside’, rather than ‘outside’. I feel that this fact ties the whole idea together even more powerfully.